History of the Nebraska Chamber

History of the Nebraska Chamber

For more than a century, the Nebraska Chamber of Commerce & Industry has been the leading advocate of Nebraska’s business community.

Our association was established in 1912 with the founding of the Nebraska Manufacturers Association.  In 1937, the membership was broadened and the name was changed to Associated Industries of Nebraska (AIN).  In 1960, the organization helped organize the Nebraska Chamber of Commerce – and six years later, the two groups merged to become the Nebraska Association of Commerce & Industry (NACI).  In 1988, NACI changed its name to the Nebraska Chamber of Commerce & Industry to demonstrate that the organization was clearly the state’s chamber of commerce.

Today, the Nebraska Chamber represents more than 1,500 corporate members statewide, with businesses of every variety and size as members.  Membership also includes nearly 70 local chambers of commerce, as well as several trade and professional associations.

Located just a half block from the Nebraska State Capitol, the State Chamber is headquartered at 1320 Lincoln Mall.  The professional staff effectively works with Nebraska’s Legislature, as well as the executive branch, on issues affecting the business community.  The Nebraska Chamber is also affiliated with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Association of Manufacturers.